Mary's Jubilee

Sometimes special people enter our lives. When I first met my wife's family, there was one person I did not meet, Mary her sister. Mary was only allowed home twice per year and she was never allowed to travel alone. No, she was not a secret agent or a convicted criminal, she was and is a nun, a Sister of Notre Dame. Down through the years visitation rules have relaxed some. I have seen her many times, either at the family or at church functions. Mary taught me many things. Some in her kindly cheerful voice, some just by the way she lives her life. Yeah, I know, she's a nun. She is supposed to live a exemplary life. But sometimes you meet a member of a religious order that shines in a special way. People that even if they were not in a religious vocation would still be holy. Mary is one of those. Mary is one of the people that answered my questions during the years that I was looking for a church. She is responsible for my starting to sing in church.

I tell my religious ed students that when they share their faith they should not expect people to jump up and claim they see the light. It may take someone speaking to them 397 times before they get the message. And I tell my students that they may only be number 127. But without number 127 we will never get to 397. Well Mary was my number 127 and 223 and, well you get the idea.

This last weekend Mary celebrated her jubilee, 50 years since she said her vows. Fifty years of serving Catholics, Christians and all of humanity selflessly. 50 years of being one of the 397 voices. I am proud to be her brother-in-law and I know when Mary eventually lays down her burden and the Lord calls her home, He will tell her "Well done good and faithful servant."

God Bless you and yours

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Make Maps for my Newton

Why did I start this blog?

Santa Matt's Cookbook for Men