My Journey to Catholic Mysticism Part 1

More than a year ago, I read an article about the Zen Catholic. I found the concept of a meditative, contemplative Catholic faith fascinating. So I did some research for books on the subject only to find they are out of print and a bit rare. Then a friend of mine gave me a book. He had read it a couple of times and it excited him so much that he bought copies for several of his friends, I being one of them. The book, "The Shattered Lantern" by Fr. Ronald Rolheiser, starts out discussing why we, as a modern people, have such a hard time perceiving God's presence. Why we try to rationalize miracles both the big ones and the everyday ones. It discusses where we lost our child like ability to be amazed by the wonders around us everyday. It is pretty interesting reading. But then, it moves on to how we can regain our perception of wonder, how we can become more mystic . . .

Hold on!

This is what I am looking for. Fr. Rolheiser pulls from the teachings of St. John of the Cross to layout a step by step methodology for shedding our everyday concerns as we turn toward God in a mystic and meditative way. This journey is done through what St. John of the Cross calls the removing of the three veils that block our vision by passing through three dark nights. The first veil is the veil of the senses and must be removed by passing through the dark night of the senses. This is where we learn to react, make decisions and do things based not on our own needs, but based on what Christ wants of us. Fr. Rolheiser relates and expounds on What St. John of the Cross has revealed, a step my step methodology to pass through this dark night. Soon I will begin my journey through this dark night. As I go I will try to remember to keep you informed of my progress. In the mean time, if you have a moment, you might say a prayer for me, that I might have the wisdom to find my way through and the strength to endure.

Till the next time,
God Bless you and yours

Comments

Ranting Pam said…
I am very interested in this book.. I have always like the idea of St. John of the Cross and his teachings on dark night of the soul. Mother Theresa went through something similar. I like his writings about the dark. It helps me see through it, to the light.

Popular posts from this blog

How I Make Maps for my Newton

Why did I start this blog?

Santa Matt's Cookbook for Men